Monday, November 1, 2010

Playing School

My father picked up an old school desk at an auction and it provided me many hours as a pretend teacher. Sometimes I practiced on my little sister and cousin, or playmates. Most often, however, a doll or stuffed animal played the part of student. I would use the blackboard and imagine how much I would enjoy teaching.

Fifteen or so years later, I actually did become a teacher, and found myself in front of classes of children. In the first years of my professional life, it seemed that the lessons themselves concerned me the most. I would spend hours calculating how children would enjoy the lessons, and what content I would present. I actually did develop pretty good lessons in those years, and felt satisfied with my teaching.

However, as I grew older and more experienced, something else took on more importance than finely crafted lesson plans. I began pondering and reflecting on my teaching to see if the students actually learned the material I produced. Did what I presented yield knowledgeable and skillful learners or did the students only play the part like my dolls?

Over the years I have observed teachers and even preachers who can expound on their subject with interest and skill, but who never seem to care if their learners actually learn. If you teach or preach, consider the results. Do your students actually show progress or are you just playing school together?  

No comments:

Post a Comment