Monday, November 22, 2010

Mercy Me, Mabel!

Concert season in public school always stretched me to the max. Not only did I plan the music and train my choirs, but I usually accompanied them too (in later years using a pre-recorded digital piano). I developed the programs, which my creative husband desk-top published for me, had them printed through the school print shop, ordered the choral risers and oversaw their placement, set up the sound system and sent letters to parents with expectations, etc.

The day of the program, I would set up the 75 chairs I needed in my classroom for the choir when they arrived for warm-ups and line-up. I welcomed them and their families before the concert, and had the sole responsibility for supervising the children and keeping them relatively quiet and focused before they went to the auditorium.

Once in awhile, I had a teacher there to help me on the night of the program, but very seldom. Some years the principal didn’t even show up for the concert! I simply assumed accountability for EVERYTHING.

Now in my retirement, I direct two smaller children’s choirs at my church. I also am the church organist and play in the adult bell choir. When my children sing, I can’t watch them, worry about whether they get robes on and off, and if they get back to sit with parents when they finish singing.

I have some wonderful helpers. They organize the children, supervise them, discipline them when necessary, robe them and line them up according to my instructions. At the time of their presentation in worship or at a concert, I simply step up and conduct them. What a joy to realize this kind of support!

Some leaders find it hard to relinquish any control over their constituents. They somehow feel that they lose respect, or loyalty of the group because other people use their gifts to help them. What a mistake! What I’ve learned from this situation is that a good leader knows how to relinquish control to capable people, and to gratefully accept the assistance. Mercy me, Mabel! It’s not all about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment