Monday, November 2, 2020

The Sharpest Knife

 

[Photo of sharpening a knife]


For the word of God is living and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword, it
penetrates even to dividing soul and
spirit, joints and marrow; it judges
the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
—Hebrews 4:12

Do you have a favorite kitchen knife? I do. Whenever I want to make quick work of cutting through meat, or bread, or pie, or just about anything, I go to the same knife. I must always keep it sharpened for the next job I require of it.

The writer of Hebrews states that God’s word, even sharper than a scalpel, penetrates and divides the very inner workings of our body and soul. Have you ever experienced that kind of inner surgery?

I remember a few times in my life when sin clearly came into focus through the written Word of God, or from faithful preaching of that written Word. I particularly remember the actual physical reaction I experienced, knowing that I had to confess my sin, or take some other bold step that God was asking me to take. This painful process changed me and brought healing to me.

In our study of the Bible, we can see the difference the word from God made in the life of the nation of Israel. In the time of King Josiah, the king determined to purify the land and the temple and set to repairing it. In the process, one of the priests found the Book of the Law and read it to the king. Beginning in 2 Chronicles 34:19, we read these words:

When the king heard the words of the Law, he tore his robes. He gave these orders… “Go and inquire of the Lord for me and for the remnant in Israel and Judah about what is written in this book that has been found. Great is the Lord’s anger that is poured out on us because our fathers have not kept the word of the Lord; they have not acted in accordance with all that is written in this book”…

[This is what the Lord says:]… “Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before God when you heard what he spoke against this place and its people, and because you humbled yourself before me and tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you,” declares the Lord.

Scripture tells another story of the cutting power of the word of God. All the people that had returned to Jerusalem after the exile had assembled and Ezra the scribe brought out the Book of the Law. Beginning in Nehemiah 8:5 we read the following words:

Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up… [the Levites] read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read. Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, “This day is sacred to the Lord your God. Do not mourn or weep.” For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law.

We see here some of the sharp, effective results that God’s word had in the hearts of His people. Do we still hear God’s word that way when we read and study our Bibles?

I have a feeling that in our culture, so plentiful in podcasts and TED talks and conferences with inspiring speakers, God’s favorite knife may have gotten lost in some “drawer.” Maybe God is calling us back to the sacred Book, to the pure written Word of the Lord.

Let us pray that in this day of so many voices, we begin to hear again the word that cuts to the quick, that changes lives, that excises that which only God can see. Oh, Lord, help us to find that powerful “knife” that accomplishes the work that only You can do through Your word!