Monday, March 20, 2017

Eyes in the Back of Your Head

 

[Black and White Photo of a 1950s teacher and her students]


“Therefore let him who thinks he
stands take heed lest he fall.”
—1 Corinthians 10:12 NKJV

When I entered first grade at age five, I sat in awe of my teacher, my very first. I adored her, I believed everything she told us, and I hung on her every word. From the day she told us that she had eyes in the back of her head, I watched and looked and speculated as to how that could possibly be.

It took me years to understand that we had rascals among us. And, this false assertion became her way of dealing with them. Nevertheless, it has given me a perfect example of the word “circumspect.” Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary states that word means, “look around,” or “be cautious.”

I believe Scripture uses this idea often. God wants us to “watch where we are going,” to “guard our feet.” The book of Proverbs often uses the word, “guard” to indicate our need for circumspection against sin and watchfulness against the Enemy who would hurt us.

Proverbs 4:23, tells us:

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Or, read Philippians 1:9-11, from The Message, and take note of what Paul wrote to these early Christians:

So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover’s life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.

God wants us to look around and live a life totally aware of sin that may have invaded our lives, so that we may propely deal with such sin and live as an example of Christ’s holiness to a needy world. As we move forward in our walk with Christ, pretend that you have eyes in the back of your head!