Monday, January 5, 2015

In a Snowbank

 

[Photo of an old car in a snowbank]


“Let him who walks in the dark, who
has no light, trust in the name
of the Lord and rely on his God.”
—Isaiah 50:10

I can remember a few times as a child getting “stuck” in the snow. Sometimes the snow banks towered above the cars on the road, so it was no wonder the occupants would need help from a tractor or truck to pull them out.

There have been times in my adult life when I’ve felt like my life has been driven into a snow bank, with no way forward and no way back and with an inability to even see out of the windows! In those times, I have had no choice but to call on the Lord to help me out of the perplexing circumstances around me.

If you’ve ever waited for a tow truck to come to your rescue, you know that often you wait a very long time. In the same way, God sometimes makes us wait for His rescue, too.

God has told us in Hebrews 13:5:

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Though we cannot see where we are or where we are going, we can know He will be there beside us and will rescue us. No matter how dark this winter experience of our lives may seem, eventually God will bring us the newness of spring.

We don’t like to trust what we cannot see, touch, feel, hear, or taste. But, if we rely totally on our five senses to help us trust God, we are not exercising faith.

Remember the story recorded about the disciple Thomas whose absence from the meeting where the risen Lord appeared prompted him to say in John 20:25:

“Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it [the resurrection].”

The following week, Thomas joined the disciples when Jesus appeared. Jesus had Thomas use his senses of sight and touch to verify the nail holes and scars in His side and then said to Thomas in John 20:29:

“Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

All of us need more faith. When we find ourselves buried in some snow drift of life with no way out, and no sense of where we are or where we are headed, we must remember and pray the words of Mark 9:24:

“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”