Monday, September 9, 2013

Appropriate Luggage

 

[Photo of a young woman getting her luggage at an airport]


 “But when they measure themselves by one another, and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.”
 —2 Corinthians 10:12 RSV

Christian speaker and artist, Joni Eareckson Tada, in her devotional book, Pearls of Great Price, recounts a thought she had while traveling:

I have been at countless airport carousels, watching as bags innumerable drop from the chute. Some of those pieces are very nice. Smart leather trim. Clean. New. In my daydreams I wonder what would happen if I swapped my old, scuffed-up luggage for one of those fancy pieces? I wouldn’t of course, But if I did, what might I find inside? Elegant clothes that don’t fit. Shoes I don’t like. Makeup that doesn’t match my skin tone. Jewelry that’s clunky and overdone. And what might I lose in this hypothetical deal? I’d lose my speaking notes, my favorite dress jeans, and treasured personal jewelry. I would lose the devotional book I love to read in the morning. In fact, while the bag I took might look better on the outside, it’s a no-brainer that the stuff on the inside wouldn’t be a good fit at all.

It’s easy to look at others and wish we could be like them; to have their talent, or their trim figure, or their jewelry collection, etc. And sometimes, all this comparison leads to sin in the form of covetousness.

God has given each of us our own perfect case in which to live our lives. If He has made us to be a stay-at-home mom, He may not have given us the ability to speak in public. If He has made us to speak in public, He may not have given us children. God planned the whole package when He created us.

Learn to see yourself as God sees you—a perfect blend of everything He needs. Even those things we consider weaknesses, He can use for His glory. Instead of looking longingly on what He has given others, we need to say with David, the psalmist, in Psalm 139:14, 16 NIV:

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well…All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

Look in the mirror today, and thank God for all He has given you, and pledge to Him that you will willingly use all your gifts in service to Him! What a joy!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment