Monday, April 29, 2013

Get a Grip!

 

[Photo of a cross training ski machine]


I admit that I don’t know much about exercise equipment, but when looking at a cross ski exerciser, I can’t help but see how impossible it would be to use this machine without gripping it with both hands. Women who use such equipment know that, in order to get full benefit from the workout, they need the balanced approach of a dual grip. I don’t think it would be very effective otherwise!

Yet, sometimes, we try to exercise faith with a single grip, and neither is that very effective. Let me explain.

From my own experience, I can say that at times I have no problem believing God can meet all my needs, has all power, and certainly is Almighty. Yet, at the same time, I wonder if He cares enough to WILL to use that power in my behalf.

Then, there are times when I believe in His love and compassion, but since I’ve never seen Him move the particular “mountain” I’m facing, I have trouble seeing with my eyes of faith His power acting with extraordinary power for me in that way.

One day as I was reading from a Puritan writer, I saw these words:

“Grip two handles with your faith. Take hold that he is able, omnipotent, omniscient, and all sufficient; but also take hold that he is willing to meet your needs by his mercy. Learn to draw arguments from these attributes.

“When you hold on to both his power and his mercy, faith can easily draw sweet and strong assurances from these. It is true that we are prone to doubt God’s willingness, but the Lord has provided for this remarkably.

“Where there is but one attribute to describe God’s power, there are many titles that prove his willingness: mercy, goodness, bounty, grace, love, loving kindness, compassion, bowels of compassion, patience, and long-suffering. Get faith fixed upon this double basis and it will stand firm. God is able AND willing.” 1

Get a grip! Exercise your faith! Learn to trust God, not only because He is all sufficient, but because He loves you AND wills to meet your needs. Keep both hands on the handles of your faith.

______________________
1 David Clarkson, as quoted in Voices from the Past. Rushing, Richard, editor. Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth Trust, 2009. Pg. 112.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment