Monday, February 27, 2012

Words to Live By?

Up until 1963 (the year of my graduation from high school), Bible reading and prayer were allowed by law in public schools. (Some experts say that year was the beginning of the downward slide in American education.) Our high school homerooms began each day with a brief Scripture reading (usually chosen by a student) followed by the Lord’s Prayer. In those days, we read almost exclusively from the King James Version. One clever clown in my class decided one day to read as a passage Jeremiah 13:1-5 (or one similar).

Thus saith the Lord unto me, ‘Go and get thee a linen girdle, and put it upon thy loins, and put it not in water.’ So I got a girdle according to the word of the Lord, and put it on my loins. And the word of the Lord came unto me a second time, saying, ‘Take the girdle that thou hast got, which is upon thy loins, and arise, go to the Euphrates, and hide it there in a hole of the rock.”

Giggles all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment